Media & Communications Manager
The Sikh Coalition’s Media & Communications Manager will be managed directly by the Senior Director of Media & Communications, and will be responsible for managing projects across all of the organizations various communications channels. This work includes: website management, email management, graphic design, community engagement collateral, fund development collateral, traditional media engagement and social media expertise.
This hire will have a strong passion for Sikh advocacy issues and a fundamental understanding of the value that media and communications work brings to achieving our organizational goals. The candidate should possess strong writing abilities, impeccable work ethic, and be willing to learn new skills quickly while juggling a fast paced work environment that balances immediate reactive projects with long-term deliverables.
The media and communications team is a staff of four and interacts and contributes to every facet of the Sikh Coalition’s work. A willingness to collaborate with colleagues across the country in different time zones combined with a willingness to learn the nuances of the issue areas we work on is crucial.
The Sikh Coalition continues to develop a team of hard charging, deeply talented individuals who care about empowering change for Sikh American’s through the courtrooms, classrooms, Congress, and the community. The position will be based at the Sikh Coalition’s national headquarters in New York City, but managed by our Senior Media & Communications Director based in California. The position will likely require for you to travel for short periods 3-5 times a year.
Traditional Media Engagement
- Help develop and then execute innovative social media and online campaigns around our policy and advocacy goals
- Build long-term strategies to develop and manage relationships with reporters
- Seasoned copy-editing skills to edit press materials, such as pitches, press releases, talking points, and messaging guidance.
- Monitor daily news to manage reactive and proactive rapid response media engagement opportunities
- Implement both the short-term and long-term plans for increasing the organization’s online presence and following through social media
- Manage, monitor and respond on the numerous social media platforms that the organization engages on, such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube
- Manage our email platform while developing new strategies for increasing open rates, retention and growth
- Manage relationships with clients, organizational allies and community members
- Manage reports and analytical summaries on our media engagement that are circulated to senior staff, board members and foundations.
- Play a leading role in the creative process that helps develop and generate original graphics, flyers, newsletters, videos and additional communications collateral for programmatic work
- Manage design, production and dissemination of publications including annual reports, reports, programmatic newsletters and donor communications
- Manage the Sikh Coalition’s website, including adding new content, security patches and design update.
- Manage video and film projects.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
A. Preferred Work Experience and Key Skills
- A bachelor’s degree with at least 2-5 years of experience in the area of journalism, public relations, digital organizing, or communications.
- Experience in developing graphic content, with a working knowledge of how to use Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Experience with basic video editing, particularly Final Cut Pro.
- Exceptional writing ability, including proofreading and editing skills.
- Understanding of news values the basic needs of reporters, editors, and producers.
- Experience with CRM, CMS, online advocacy and email tools, including WordPress, Salesforce, and knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Punjabi language skills are strongly preferred
- Previous experience, volunteer or professional, working with the Sikh community is preferred
- Strong understanding of how social media platforms work and the best strategies for optimizing them for our organizational engagement.
B. Values and Perspectives
- Belief in Sikh Coalition values of truth, service, humility, and persistence as being critical in how we pursue creating change.
- Respect for the faith-based roots of the organization and sensitivity to the specific cultural needs of the community.
- Commitment to consensus-building and shared decision making as a process - coupled with the ability to make decisions and bring together the whole team on delivering against them.
- Proactive problem-solving attitude.
- Embraces feedback and is driven by opportunities for growth.
Commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package includes medical, dental, pension matching program, vacation and sick leave.
The Sikh Coalition is an Equal Opportunity Employer.